Dallas Songwriters Association
Song Contest Director
Sammons Center For The Arts
3630 Harry Hines Blvd. #20
Dallas, Texas 75219
Instructions When Entering Online
You are not required to be a DSA member. However, you must register for a free account on our website to upload/submit your songs to this contest. Song files should be uploaded as 128 KB MP3 files.
Song Contest Rules
1. The DSA Young Songwriters Song Contest is open to any amateur songwriter. (This song contest defines ‘amateur’ as a songwriter who has not earned more than $5,000 from songwriting related royalties, works for hire or advances within the past five years. Contestants must be 18 years or under and have parental permission to enter. Each contestant must provide accurate contact information or no prizes will be awarded. Closing and announcement dates may be changed without notice.
2. Each song submitted must be your original work.
3. A song is defined as a melody with lyrics. A single song entry may be no longer than five (5) minutes in duration. An Instrumental (music with no lyrics) is permitted only in its category and is limited to 7 minutes.
4. Enter as many songs as you like. You must complete an entry form, fee, lyric sheet (except for instrumental entry) for each song entered.
5. All entries must be received by no later than midnight, September 30th. DSA is NOT responsible for lost, damaged or misdirected entries, nor for the quality of the sound files of the song. Entry material WILL NOT BE RETURNED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. DO NOT SEND YOUR ONLY COPY OR S.A.S.E.
6. First prize or grand prize winning songs of any past DSA sponsored song contests are ineligible for entry.
7. Entrants agree that if their song is a winner of any prize in the contest, the sponsors, submission partners, and DSA will have the right to the use of their names and likeness for purposes of trade in connection with the Contest, and reprint the winning songs and lyrics in the DSA ‘Songwriters Notes’ newsletter and/or website, and/or on a promotional CD given away at an awards ceremony or to radio stations for promotion. By accepting the prize, winner releases DSA and of any and all liability regarding prizes awarded. All warranties and performance of service promised is the sole responsibility of the sponsor providing such service. Any contest winner under the legal age of 18 must provide the express written consent of a parent or legal guardian within 48 hours of notification in order to receive prizes and/or promotion through the contest sponsors.
8. Entrants retain all publishing rights to their song(s).
9. Entries may not infringe upon any existing copyright or other rights of a third party. By entering the contest, the entrant agrees to release DSA from any and all liability for copyright infringement of any entry submitted by entrant. Contestants will be eliminated for false registration, making false claims, or cheating. Songs in violation of any copyright not owned by the contestant will be eliminated.
10. The decision of the judges is final!
11. Employees and Directers of Dallas Songwriters Association and its judges, their advertising agencies, their affiliates, representatives, and their families or households of their employees are ineligible to enter/win.
12. Additions or deletions to these rules may be made at the discretion of DSA, and may be enacted at any time.
13. Any use of contest material outside of DSA, or its submission partners is in violation of copyrights owned by either DSA, its submission partners and their partnering companies.
14. The selection of contest winners by DSA, and its judges is final. Arrangements for receiving all prizes, unless otherwise specified, must be made within thirty days of announcing the winners. It is the responsibility of the winners to claim prizes within the thirty days provided. All unclaimed prizes will be forfeited, and DSA, may award any unclaimed prize at the end of the thirty-day grace period to a contest runner-up. All prizes are nontransferable and void where prohibited by law. No cash substitution of prizes is allowed.
Winners understand and agree that they are responsible for any and all taxes, including but not limited to sales, income, or value added, incurred on prizes received, and for any and all duties, tariffs, or import fees that may be assessed upon receiving contest prizes. DSA, and/or its partners, sponsors, or affiliates will incur the cost of shipping and may be shipped at their discretion. Neither DSA, nor their sponsors are responsible for the failure or tardiness of prizes delivered via US Postal Service, United Parcel Service, Federal Express, DHL, or other reputable carrier. Proper identification such as a valid driver’s license, passport, state ID, or military ID may be required to receive the prizes. Further entry rules may be applicable entering online with the contest submission partner.